Travis Pastrana Should Backflip His Throwback Subaru Gymkhana Racer
Brilliance in retro styling.
Hoonigan is no stranger to incredibly cool throwback motorsports machines, and its latest concoction thoroughly proves this point. Travis Pastrana is now the pilot of this insane Subaru Gymkhana build.
- Car: Travis Pastrana Gymkhana Subaru GL
- Location: Unknown
- Photog: Unknown (used with permission from Hoonigan)
- Camera: Unknown
This thing looks the absolute business. It’s a throwback to the early 1980s Subaru GL wagon shape with massive fenders, giant tires, the works. It looks like a cross between a ’80s AJTCC car mixed with an ’80s Trans Am racer, except it’s a car that never raced in either series.
What’s cool is it’s not a modified old GL, but rather a full carbon, all-custom racecar styled after it. There’s no word on what’s underneath, but I’ll hedge that it has some kind of race-prepped Subaru STI drive/powertrain like his previous Gymkhana machine. My God, does it sound so glorious banging off the rev limiter in a fast slide, as demonstrated at the beginning of this video. All that’s left to do is backflip it.
What to read next:
- In the newest Car Bibles video, EIC Andrew Collins demonstrates how and why he upgraded his garage with all-new LED lights.
- Car Bibles launched a new series, Car Confessions and Hard Lessons. In the third installment, Engineering Explained creator Jason Fenske explains why buying a Subaru WRX STI was the worst car decision he’s ever made.
- With its new used car platform Car Bravo, GM is aiming to beat out companies like CarMax and Carvana at their own games.
- The first 2022 Subaru WRX dyno numbers are in, and they tell a deeper story.
- We know the used car market is crazy, but you should keep your eye on these three excellent 2000s sport sedans.