- 1. eRapta Backup Camera and 7 Inch Monitor
- 2. Rear View Safety Backup Camera
- 3. ZEROXCLUB Digital Wireless Backup Camera System Kit
- 4. Digital Wireless Backup Camera System Kit
- 5. eRapta Backup Camera 2.0 with Split Screen Monitor
- 6. Emmako Digital Wireless Backup Camera
- 7. iStrong Digital Wireless Backup Camera System
- 8. Camecho RC 12V 24V Car Backup Camera
- 9. Furrion Wireless Vehicle Observation System
- 10. LeeKooLuu Backup Camera and Monitor Kit
- Best RV Backup Cameras Buying Guide
We all know that backing up a large vehicle can be a real challenge, and RV are no exception. Navigating tight parking spots and urban manoeuvres are difficult tasks, since it can be hard to see exactly what’s behind the RV, even with the help of mirrors.Fortunately, there’s a simple solution at hand: the RV backup camera. This handy piece of kit is mounted at the rear of your RV, and transfers live footage of the rear view to a small monitor that sits in the driver’s line of sight on the dashboard.
Since these RV rear view cameras are so useful, it should come as no surprise that you’ll have plenty of options to choose from if you decide to purchase one for your own RV. To help you find the best option for you, we’ve compiled this buying guide. Below, we run through the top 10 options on the market right now, before answering some common questions about this nifty safety device.
The Best RV Backup Camera
Kicking off our list is this RV and trailer backup camera by eRapta. It’s suitable for virtually any vehicle, helping you to back up safely using a camera and seven inch monitor. The commercial grade system a durable piece of kit – the camera is totally waterproof, while the connective cable is aircraft grade. Thanks to night vision technology, the camera offers a clear view no matter the time of day.
Once installed, the system offers drivers an impressively wide viewing angle of 149 degrees. This eliminates any blind spots while parking, helping you to avoid obstacles and manoeuvre safely and effectively. With just a little automotive knowhow, it’s simple to install to almost any vehicle, with 50 feet of cable included. This generous length ensures that the kit can function properly no matter how large your RV is. Each camera and monitor set includes a two year factory warranty, so you can rest assured it’s built to last, too.
- Reversing camera kit for RVs, trailers, and more
- Seven inch monitor provides a good quality image
- Waterproof design for all-weather use
- Features aircraft grade cabling
- Night vision technology allows for reversing in the dark
- Wide viewing angle of 149 degrees – avoid blind spots
- Simple to install with some DIY knowhow
- 2 year warranty included
- Brand eRapta
- Model ER01
- Weight 10.4 ounces
The next motorhome reversing camera to earn itself a spot on our list is by Rear View Safety. This unique kit features not only a visual feed, but an audio one too, thanks to its built in microphone. This handy feature provides drivers with even more safety cues, helping to prevent any collisions while reversing.
Alongside this unusual inclusion, the kit also features infrared night vision, for reversing in the dark, grid lines, for accurate parking, and an ultra-wide 130 degree viewing angle. Together, these camera features channel an output to the monitor that helps you get a grip on your surroundings, for safe and effective reversing. The camera itself is waterproof, too – in fact, it possesses the highest possible IP waterproof rating; IP69K. Despite its ruggedness, the camera puts out a super sharp digital image, which is easy to see on the seven inch monitor included.
- Complete rear view camera kit for RVs and more
- Includes both audio and visual feeds to promote reversing safety
- 7 inch, high quality monitor included
- Camera produces sharp image quality
- Features night vision for manoeuvring in darkness
- Ultra-wide 130 degree viewing angle
- Grid lines for accurate parking
- Waterproof for use in any weather
- Brand Rear View Safety
- Model RVS-770613
- Weight 5.55 pounds
The first wireless backup camera for RVs to make our list is this neat system by ZEROXCLUB. Both camera and monitor are able to communicate with each other via a small ariel, removing the need for wires and making for a far simpler reverse camera installation process. It can be installed in as little as two minutes. ZEROXCLUB’s digital wireless technology ensures that no interference interrupts your image as you reverse. In fact, the signal will remain smooth even at speeds of up to 110 mph!
The tough, waterproof camera provides live video, with an impressive viewing angle of 149 degrees. This prevents any dangerous blind spots as your manoeuvre your large vehicle backwards. This feed is displayed on a high definition LCD monitor, allowing you to easily see any hazards to the rear. To help you drive in the dark, the camera also features a handy night vision setting. Drivers agree that the kit has great reception and a very clear image, significantly improving their reversing abilities.
- Wireless reversing camera for RVs and other large vehicles
- Simple to install in as little as 2 minutes
- Interference-free wireless technology
- Tough, waterproof camera
- Night vision included
- High definition LCD monitor included (7 inches)
- Brand ZEROXCLUB
- Model W01
- Weight 2.65 pounds
Yuwei have also earned themselves a spot on our list, thanks to their wireless backup camera kit. Featuring a newly upgraded wireless signal, the camera operates with absolutely no interference, providing a clear image when you need it most. Its wireless design is easy to install, and simple to switch between vehicles. With a transmitting distance of up to 328 feet, it’s perfect for even the longest RVs and trailers. The signal can also transmit at high speeds, even at 70 or 80 mph on the highway.
The seven inch LCD monitor can support up to four cameras, allowing you to connect three more cameras for a unique, personalised view. The camera itself waterproof, ice proof, and even features a night vision setting. The kit also features parking assistance, with helpful grid lines to guide you into the your chosen spot.
- Wireless RV backup camera
- Upgraded signal operates 100% interference free
- Quick and simple to install
- Seven inch seven inch monitor included
- Monitor supports up to four cameras, for personalised visibility
- Features a transmission of up to 328 feet
- Works at high speed
- Waterproof, and ice-proof
- Brand Yuwei
- Model YW-17211
- Weight 1.54 pounds
eRapta have earned themselves a second spot on our list, with their two camera reversing system. Featuring a split-screen monitor and two different cameras, the system is a perfect way to cover your blind spots when manoeuvring a large vehicle. The monitor can display feeds from up to four cameras, allowing drivers to customize their driving experience. Each waterproof camera transmits a live video stream to a high quality LCD screen, seven inches in size.
The cameras are equipped with night vision, too, allowing you to reverse safely and effectively even in the dark. The installation process is fairly straightforward, and the kit comes with everything you’ll need, including a handy instruction manual. The five millimeter cable included with each kit is aircraft grade, so the system as a whole is built to last. Users agree that the system is excellent quality at its price point, and provides a crystal clear image be it day or night.
- RV reversing system with two cameras
- 7 inch, split screen monitor included
- Ideal for covering blind spots on large vehicles
- Cameras are waterproof and weatherproof
- Night vision included, for easy backing up at night
- 5 mm, aircraft grade cable included
- Excellent quality at its price point
- Brand eRapta
- Model ER0202
- Weight 1.8 pounds
The next wireless backup camera to make it onto our list is by Emmako. Featuring a super wide, 150 degree viewing angle, the device helps to cover your blind spots, as you reverse your RV or trailer. The camera is durable and waterproof, so you can rest assured it’s built to last whatever the weather. Without any cables to worry about, the system is easy to install, too. Simply mount the camera to the back of your RV using the bracket included, and place the monitor on your dashboard as you would with a satnav.
The kit can achieve an impressive transmission distance of up to 450 feet in an open area – when installed on a vehicle, it can transmit video feed up to 70 feet away. For longer vehicles, Emmako offer 12 foot extension wires, helping to enhance the signal. As well as standing up to the rain, the camera in this kit can also handle fog and the dark. It utilises infrared technology to provide a handy night vision setting for those darker times of day. All this adds up to a durable backup camera that significantly improves reversing safety for large vehicles.
- Wireless backup camera for RVs and other large vehicles
- Durable and waterproof
- Quick and easy to install
- 7 inch, high quality display included
- Offers a viewing angle of 150 degrees
- Suitable for vehicles up to 70 feet in length
- Utilises infrared technology to provide night vision
- Brand Emmako
- Weight 2.65 pounds
iStrong have also earned themselves a spot on our list, thanks to their wireless backup camera. Suitable for cars, RVs, trailers and trucks alike, this versatile system helps users to cover their blind spots no matter what they’re driving. The five inch monitor, included with every kit, offers 10 different functions. Among these are reversing guidelines, and adjustable angles, allowing drivers to easily adjust the setup to best suit their viewing needs.
Thanks to its wireless design, the device is very easy to install. Once in place, it’s built to last. The camera is totally waterproof, staying safe come rain or shine. It’s easy to use at night, too, thanks to a series of infrared lights. The wireless signal, which transmits the camera feed forward to the monitor, is strong enough to work with vehicles up to 80 feet in length. Whether you’re driving a coupe or a long trailer, you can rest assured the signal will reach your eyes safely. Each backup camera kit includes a two year warranty, tech support, and professional installation where requested.
- Wireless backup camera for RVs, cars, trailers, and trucks
- Five inch monitor included features 10 functions
- Reversing guidelines provide valuable parking assistance
- Easy to install
- Camera is fully waterproof
- Features night vision
- Transmission range of 80 feet
- Two year warranty and tech support included
- Brand iStrong
- Model 5823918485
- Weight 1.35 pounds
The next RV backup camera to earn itself a spot on our list is this effective but budget-friendly option by Camecho. If you’ve never used a reversing camera before, and want to give it a go without making a large investment, this kit could be the perfect solution for you. Because it’s wireless, you’re sure to have a quick, hassle-free installation process. All the wires and brackets you’ll need for successful installation are included, so it’s pretty much a case of plug and play.
The camera and monitor communicate with each other using a very stable frequency. Because it’s so stable, you can expect zero interference, for a consistently smooth experience. The camera itself is housed inside a hard metal case, protecting it from the elements, wherever you roam. Its footage is seamlessly transmitted to a full color, seven inch LCD monitor, which automatically activates when you switch to reverse. The camera also features automatic night vision, thanks to 18 infrared lights which activate in dark or low-visibility conditions.
- Wireless RV backup camera
- Quick, hassle free installation method
- Installation equipment included
- Zero interference for smooth, continuous usage
- Camera is housed in a metal case for waterproofing and durability
- 7 inch, LCD monitor included
- Display includes parking guidelines
- Features night vision, for reversing in low light conditions
- Brand Camecho
- Model CM00-R000902
- Weight 1.15 pounds
Furrion have also earned themselves a spot on our list, thanks to their own wireless backup camera system. Featuring an anti-glare screen (four inches), audio input, and an impressive level of resolution, it’s the ultimate gadget when it comes to reversing visibility. The 2.4 GHz wireless camera has a range of up to 42 feet inside an RV, and 492 feet outside. It’s easy to mount, and offers a subtle appearance, thanks to its sleek, sharksfin design.
This high resolution camera features infrared night vision, for ultimate visibility in low light conditions. It’s also equipped with a microphone, channeling audio as well as visual feedback to the full color monitor. When the camera detections motion, the monitor is automatically switched on, allowing the kit to double up as a security system – letting you know what’s going on outside your RV. The feed produced by the camera has a viewing angle of 120 degrees – wide enough for a proper view, but not so wide that the image becomes distorted.
- Wireless camera for RVs, trucks, and other vehicles
- Anti-glare, full color LCD screen included (4 inches)
- Transmission range of 42 feet inside an RV/ 492 feet in the open
- Easy to mount
- Sleek design
- Motion sensor activation allows the kit to double up as a security system
- 120 degree viewing angle is wide without causing distortion
- Brand Furrion
- Model 729125
- Weight 1.65 pounds
Last, but no least, is this backup camera by LeeKooLuu. At under $40, it’s the lowest price point on our list. Don’t be fooled by its budget-friendly appearance, though – this simple but effective camera system is the perfect reversing companion for RV enthusiasts. The easy to install system is powered through a vehicle’s 12v source fuse box, or its cigarette lighter.
The camera itself is totally waterproof (IP68 standard), and features a wide viewing angle of 135 degrees, allowing you to see behind your vehicle with ease. It also includes infrared night vision, helping you to manoeuvre in low-light and foggy conditions. If desired, you can even install a second camera, for improved visibility. Each LeeKooLuu kit includes a two year warranty, and tech support if you need it. For ease of use, the monitor can be mounted on either a flat surface, or the windshield, helping you keep it firmly in your line of sight no matter what.
- Backup camera for cars, RVs, and more
- Affordable price point
- Install using cigarette lighter or 12v source fuse box
- Camera is totally waterproof
- Infrared night vision enables safe reversing in low light conditions
- Simple installation method
- High resolution LCD monitor included
- Add a second camera if desired
- Brand LeeKooLuu
- Model LKL-080
- Weight 1.25 pounds
Best RV Backup Cameras Buying Guide
These backup cameras are the best of the bunch, and we’re confident you’ll find the perfect option for your RV, truck, or trailer on the list. To help you choose the option that’s right for you, and get the most out of your new piece of kit, we’ve compiled this handy guide.
What to Consider When Buying an RV Backup Camera
When it’s time to choose your own backup camera, there are a few key factors to bear in mind:
- Installation Method
Some cameras must be wired to their monitors with cables, while others transmit footage wirelessly. Which option you select depends largely on your needs. If you expect to move the camera from vehicle to vehicle, choosing a wireless option if your best bet, thanks to the ease of installation. Conversely, if your vehicle is exceptionally long, you may require a long cable, since wireless options are relatively limited by their transmission distances.
- Viewing Angle
When choosing a backup camera for your vehicle, look out for one that displays a viewing angle between around 120 and 150 degrees. This ensures that the image is wide enough for you to see, but not so wide that it becomes distorted on a small monitor.
It’s important that your new camera is built to last. Look out for a camera with a good waterproof rating, and durable housing. It can be difficult to tell how long a camera will last based only on its description, but a long warranty from the manufacturer is usually a good sign.
- Image Quality
Your new backup camera won’t be much use if you can’t make out the image it transmits. For this reason, it’s important to ensure that your new camera and monitor both have a decent resolution. Some backup cameras are also fitted with a microphone, helping drivers to pick up on audio cues when manoeuvring.
Why Do You Need An RV Backup Camera?
Installing a backup camera on your RV, truck, or trailer comes with a number of benefits:
- Managing a trailer is easier with the help of a backup camera
- Installing a backup camera helps drivers reverse in difficult spots
- Backup cameras cover the blind spots left by mirrors
- Using a backup camera helps you to spot hazards you might not otherwise have seen
Types Of RV Backup Cameras
When selecting a backup camera for your RV, you’ll have two main types to choose from:
As this name suggests, this type of camera is connected to its monitor via a wire that runs the length of the vehicle. It only requires one power source, but can still be the more difficult option to install. They can be installed into vehicles of any length, provided you aquire a long enough cable.
On the other hand, wireless cameras communicate with their monitors through an electromagnetic signal. They’re much easier to install, but do have a limited transmission distance, so may not be suitable for abnormally long vehicles.
How To Install an RV Rear View Camera?
Different rear view cameras are installed by different methods, and you should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
The steps will usually consist of:
- Connecting the monitor to the vehicle’s fuse box, and connecting its trigger wire to the reverse light. Connecting the monitor in this way will cause it to turn on automatically when you put the vehicle in reverse.
- Mount the camera. This process varies depending on the bracket you have been supplied.
- Power the camera by connecting it to the vehicle’s reverse light.
- If the system is wireless, it should now be in working order.
- If the system is wired, now’s the time to connect the camera to the monitor. The neatest way to do this is to run the cable up through the trunk cover and the ceiling lining.
Best RV Backup Cameras FAQ:
Q: What Is An RV Backup Camera and How Does It Work?
A: RV backup cameras perform a simple but helpful function: they help you to see what’s behind your vehicle.
Although fender mirrors are usually in place to help you with this task, they can’t achieve total coverage, and leave you with a number blind spots. Backup cameras solve this issue by channeling a digital image of your entire rear view to a monitor mounted inside the cab.
Q: Where to mount RV backup camera?
A: Most backup cameras can be mounted wherever you need them – it’s often down to personal preference.
For the best rear view, however, it’s recommended that you mount your camera at the bottom center on your vehicle’s rear. For a standard car, this usually means around the top of the license plate.
Q: How do wireless backup cameras work?
A: Backup cameras are usually mounted in the middle of your vehicle’s back end. They act as a remote eye, transmitting live footage of what’s going on back there to a spot you can see without leaving the cab. Some backup cameras transmit this footage using cables, while others do it wirelessly – the result is the same.
The cameras are typically powered through your car’s battery, although some may have separate batteries that need to be changed or recharged periodically.
Our Top Pick
Crowning our list of the best RV backup cameras is this effective and affordable option by eRapta. The kit includes everything you’ll need to get your new safety system up and running – camera, seven inch monitor, and appropriate wiring. With a little automotive knowledge, the device is easy to install, and eRapta’s helpful manual should speed along the process.
Thanks to its waterproof design, the camera is suitable for use in all weather conditions. It provides a viewing angle of 149 degrees, eliminating any blind spots, and helping you to see any potential hazards behind you, without distorting the image on screen. Featuring 18 infrared lights and a CMOS sensor, the camera provides great visuals, even at night. With an impressive two year warranty, you can rest assured that eRapta have built their device to last, so you can manoeuvre your RV safely for months and years to come.
- Why do you need to add an RV Backup Camera? – The Frisky