Figuring out why your Check Engine Light is on means deciphering OBD-II (or “OBD2”) codes, and that can be kind of annoying. That’s why Car Bibles did it for you! You’re welcome, now let’s get into solving your issue.
OBD2 P0449: What It Means
This code reads as “EVAP vent control circuit malfunction.” This code is more specific than other Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) codes, and means that a solenoid or a valve hasn’t opened or closed in the time desired by the engine computer. Basically, something is stuck.
Here’s what you may experience due to the P0449 code:
- Check Engine Light. Most of the time, the CEL will be on.
- Rarely, a fuel smell. This depends on the size and location of the leak, but it is extraordinarily rare.
Here’s what could be causing the issue:
- Faulty or weak electrical connection. An electrical connector in the EVAP system may have come loose, causing the engine computer to lose communication with the affected EVAP valve.
- Faulty EVAP solenoid or valve. This will vary from car to car, but usually an EVAP valve/solenoid is stuck or broken.
What Part Is Potentially Affected?
The EVAP solenoid(s) on a car have broken, or the electrical connection has been damaged.
Here are the most common fixes to remedy the P0449 code:
- Check and repair wires and electrical connectors.
- Underneath the car, near the gas tank, there will be a variety of components related to the EVAP system. Look at stuff connected to the gas tank and vent lines, and make sure everything is kosher.
- Replace the EVAP valve or solenoid.
- If everything passes a visual inspection, a valve or solenoid may be broken where you can’t see it. Usually, these items are sealed, so repair isn’t usually possible and it’ll have to be replaced.
Finding The Parts You Need
Now that you’ve figured out what’s wrong with your hooptie, let’s talk about where you’re gonna find that part’s replacement.
There are plenty of places you can buy auto parts from, but Car Bibles gets paid if you click this Advance Auto link so that’s the one we’re serving up. Advance Auto Parts also has delivery, curbside pickup, and a host of helpful diagrams to aid your repair!