How to Ride a Hoverboard Like a Pro
Since the hoverboard was seen in Back to the Future, it’s been a dream of many to learn how to...
Since the hoverboard was seen in Back to the Future, it’s been a dream of many to learn how to ride a hoverboard. Now, with the actual invention and commercial distribution of this amazing item, you can take your very own hoverboard out for a spin!
Sure, it’s actually more of a self-balancing scooter than a genuinely hovering board, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with your new toy. Of course, before you set yourself up for a fall (after all, how many of us have fallen off a skateboard – and those things are actually connected to the ground with four wheels?), check out our guide to learn how to use a hoverboard and get the most out of your new purchase.
How Does a Hoverboard Work?
Hoverboards are composed of a series of gyroscopes, infrared sensors, motors, tilt and speed sensors and a computer board. Wrapped around this is a plastic and metal frame that supports the weight of the user and two wheels are placed at either end of the board.
It’s important to calibrate your board before you use it, so that all of the above can be zeroed in and set to your natural, upright balance. The board then uses two switches which are based on the bottom of the covering sheet, which are pressed when you move forward, backward or left and right.
The logic board of your hoverboard will then be able to process any movement produced by you, during use, in order to tell your wheels which way they need to roll in order to maintain the measurements it was first calibrated to. Pretty clever!
How To Use a Hoverboard
Like any new method of transport, it might take a little time to get used to your new hoverboard, as well as how it moves and how your body reacts to the minute movements created. Take your time and don’t be afraid to keep referring back to our guide to set your mind at ease, if you’re worried at any point.
We’ll start with mounting your hoverboard, which can be a little awkward and tricky to get used to, at first.
- Start by placing your new hoverboard on an even surface, where there is plenty of room around you and your board.
- Using your dominant foot, place one foot onto the hoverboard – don’t add any pressure just yet. The board will try to move if it senses pressure, so just hold the board in place with your foot and allow your foot to stay steady.
- When you feel ready, hop your other foot onto the board.
- Give yourself room to place your feet as far apart as possible. This will give you a better sense of gravity and allow you to feel a little sturdier.
- Try to keep your back straight, head up and eyes facing forward. This will give your body the best stance to keep your balance.
Congratulations! You have now mounted your board. The next step is to get used to the movement of your hoverboard.
- Try to keep your hips facing forward and back straight – only using your feet for these movements.
- Tilt your feet forward and backward gently, getting used to the rocking motion of your hoverboard.
- As you become more confident, you should try to head forward and backward over greater distances.
- Once you have mastered this, it’s time to try turning. Push gently down and forward with your left foot to turn right – and vice versa for your left turns.
Have some fun with your new movements and don’t be afraid or embarrassed if you fall – it’s all part of the learning process! To get off your new hoverboard, just reverse the initial steps you used to get onto your board (above), keeping your dominant foot on the board until you’re ready to jump off completely.
If you’re looking to go over longer distances, or are looking to purchase a hoverboard for younger family members or friends, you should always try to ensure the following is equipped:
- Wrist guards
- Knee pads
- Elbow pads
- Tailbone protector
Now you know how to ride a hoverboard, we hope you have a great time and be sure to check out other articles to find out everything there is to know about this awesome new item.