Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat Review
More than 120,000 children get injured every year because of motor vehicle crashes. The American Society for the Positive Care of Children says that using the right car seat in the correct manner can reduce the risk of motor crash-related deaths and injuries in children by as much as 70 percent. One of the best car seats on the market today is the Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat.
The Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat is a neat-looking car seat for children who weigh up to 50 lbs in the rear-facing configuration. When placed in the front-facing position, this car seat can handle toddlers who may weigh up to 65 lbs.
The system also features several adjustable elements, including the headrest height, the length of the foot and leg rest, and the angle of incline. These adjustable elements are very easy to operate and allows for optimum support, protection, and comfort for children.
The system also boasts of the InRight Latch technology, simplifying the process of installing and stabilizing the car seat on the car’s backseat.
The Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat passed extensive and rigorous crash-testing to provide you with a product that is safe and comfortable for your child.
- InRight Latch technology complete with easy-to-operate push-on connectors
- 50-lb maximum weight limit for rear-facing configuration
- Multiple positions for headrest height and legroom extension
- 6-position, easy-to-operate incline
- Fuss-free buckle storage pockets
- Infant padding and head pad for optimum comfort and support
- 2-position crotch buckle
- Harness system without rethreading
- 10-year expiration
Exceptional performance in crash tests
10 headrest positions and 6 recline positions
Push-on Latch connectors for easy installation
Up to 5 inches of additional leg room
Rear-facing configuration can accommodate children up to 50 lbs
Color-based ball level indicator for more accurate incline
Buckle pockets for easier placement and removal of the child from the car seat
With two integrated cup holders
Leg extension is only available in rear-facing configuration
Harness chest clip can be a bit clunky
Car seat cover may be challenging to remove and replace; easy-to-remove covers are more expensive
Seatbelt installation can be quite difficult in the rear-facing position
Car seat harness can be tough to tighten
Seat may be too big for premature babies
How to Use
There are two methods of installing the Graco Extend2Fit in your car. These are using the Latch system and the vehicle’s Seatbelt system. Newer vehicles already come with a Latch system. This consists of top tether anchors and lower anchors. Completing the system are connecting hooks that are integral to the car’s seatbelt system.
To install the Extend2Fit in a rear-facing configuration using the Latch straps of the car, the steps are as follows:
- Store the Graco top tether strap.
- Remove the Latch straps from their storage location.
- Make sure that the Latch strap is in the blue belt path for rear-facing configuration.
- Recline the Extend2Fit to a more comfortable position.
- Place the car seat in the backseat of your car. Position the car seat in between the Latch anchors of your car. Make sure that the backseat accommodates at least 80% of the base of the car seat.
- Adjust the leg room by pulling on the extender.
- Check the car seat’s level indicator. Make sure it is in the blue zone.
- Extend your car’s Latch strap and attach the connectors to the lower Latch anchors.
- Tighten the Latch strap. Make sure to test it for tightness.
- Check the level indicator again.
If you wish to install the Extend2Fit car seat in a rear-facing configuration using the car’s seatbelt system, adhere to the following steps:
- Store the Latch strap and top tether of the car seat.
- Recline the Graco car seat.
- Place the car seat in the vehicle’s backseat. Make sure 80% of the car seat base gets covered by the backseat.
- Adjust the car seat leg room.
- Check the car seat level indicator.
- Thread the car’s seatbelt through the blue rear-facing belt path on the Graco. Pull the seatbelt on the other side and buckle it.
- Tighten and lock the vehicle seatbelt.
- Check the tightness of the seatbelt as well as the level indicator.
Installing the Extend2Fit in a front-facing configuration follows the same steps as in the rear-facing position. The main difference will be to make sure the Latch strap or the seatbelt is in the orange belt path. This signifies the front-facing configuration of the car seat. You will also need to attach the car seat top tether strap to the top Latch anchor.
To secure your child using the car seat’s 5-point harness system, follow these steps:
- Loosen the straps of the 5-point harness.
- Position your child in the car seat.
- Grab the shoulder harness straps and place these over your kid’s shoulders. Secure the system.
- Make sure that the height of the harness straps is correct. If rear-facing, it should be at the level of the child’s shoulders or below it. If front-facing, the harness straps should be at the level of the kid’s shoulders or above it.
- Adjust the height of the headrest.
- Adjust and secure the crotch straps.
- Buckle the harness chest clip.
- Make sure there’s no slack on the harness around the child’s waist.
- Adjust the tightness of the harness straps.
- Raise the harness chest clip to the level of the child’s armpit.
Ensuring the safety of your child during travels is a must. The Graco Extend2Fit system guarantees a more secure and safer seat for your precious child.