Falken Wildpeak A/T3W Tire Review
Looking for a tire with serious off-road capabilities, all-season versatility and great comfort? The Falken WildPeak A/T3W tire may be exactly what you’re looking for. Made by the Japanese company Falken Tire, this model boasts ultra high performance features and a unique and attractive tread design that tackles all terrains and any weather condition.
The Falken WildPeak A/T3W tire is an all-weather, all-terrain tire designed for all types of light trucks, crossovers and SUVs. With aggressive off-road capability but without compromise on the highway, this model is perfect for both muddy adventures and everyday rides. That being said, the WildPeak A/T3W is designed to be a hybrid between an AT and MT tire, meaning it absolutely shines on rugged terrains. This doesn’t mean the tire doesn’t belong on the pavement – on the contrary, it delivers quite good manners when driving on the highway too.
It seems that Falken’s engineers have hit the jackpot with this model – brilliant on rough terrains, excellent on pavement, supremely safe and stable with fantastic traction in dry, wet and even snowy weather, this tire checks all the right boxes. On top of that, it’s actually affordable! So how did Falken manage to hit all the right buttons? By implementing innovative features and combining them with a modern, aggressive design.
- Outer Apex Sidewall + Aggressive Upper Sidewall: to protect the internal casing of the tire, this model has a secondary bead apex. The result is a more durable tire with greater handling on rough terrains. Aggressive upper sidewall further protects the tire by preventing sharp rocks from getting stuck.
- Heat Diffuser Technology: to further protect the internal structure of the tire, the WildPeak A/T3W incorporates heat diffuser tech that dissipates heat, keeping the critical areas cooler than usual. This results in improved stability of the entire vehicle, even when you’re towing or transporting heavy loads.
- 3D Canyon Sipe Technology: to resist wear from high torque, the WildPeak A/T3W uses 3D canyon tech that interlocks the shoulders. This further improves handling stability.
- Rugged and Rigid Tread Blocks: another feature that enhances vehicle stability is the tire’s design itself. Rugged tread blocks provide rigidity in the contact patch which not only prevents little stones from becoming trapped in the grooves, but also improves stability and handling on rough pavement.
- Silica Tread Compound + Deep Tread: for good tread life and great wet performance, the WildPeak A/T3W has silica tread compound combined with very deep tread. Together, these two features ensure the tire has long-lasting wear, excellent hydroplaning resistance and good snow performance.
The WildPeak A/T3W is a tough, long-lasting tire that can serve both adventurers who mostly drive on rough and muddy roads, and everyday-folks who usually drive on highways. This is because this model incorporates both aggressive design and innovative features and technologies that help the tire have an all-around good quality and performance.
But is it good enough for your specific needs? To help you answer that question, we’ve outlined the WildPeak A/T3W’s major pros and cons. We’ve also reviewed its performance under different weather conditions, so read on to make the best purchasing decision possible.
Pros & Cons
With so many impressive tire technologies incorporated, the WildPeak A/T3W clearly has a huge number of positives. But, like all tires out there, this model too has some negatives. That being said, we really had to delve deep into hundreds of reviews to be able to find something ‘off’ with this model. And we’re pleased to say that we were able to find only one.
Fantastic traction and handling in both dry and wet weather; acceleration, braking and cornering is highly responsive
Excellent winter performance
Great off-road handling, including muddy roads, grass and rocks
Reduced heat build-up and long tread life
Durable and stable, even when towing or carrying heavy loads
Provides comfortable rides, no matter the road
Reduced vibrations, particularly on rough terrains
Produces some vibration and noise on the highway: as mentioned, this model has brilliant off-road capabilities, but as a result, a little less brilliant highway performance. When driving at highway speeds, some drivers report the tire produces some road noise and vibration. It should be noted that only a small number of drivers seem to have this issue, so the problem could be something else entirely; nevertheless, it’s true that the WildPeak A/T3W does produce a little bit of noise.
This model has excellent traction in all weather conditions, including light to moderate snow. Considering this is an all-season tire, we have to say we were thoroughly impressed with the tire’s responsiveness to braking and accelerating even on slippery, icy and snowy roads. But where this tire really shines is on rough terrains – whether you’re driving over rocks or mud or even sand, the WildPeak A/T3W is stable, safe and comfortable.
Check out how the tire performs under different weather conditions in detail below.
With features such as outer apex sidewall and aggressive upper sidewall, the WildPeak A/T3W is incredibly stable in dry weather, no matter the road. Thanks to these and a couple of other technologies, the tire’s internal structure is protected from both excessive heat and sharp rocks, resulting in superior durability and confident off-road traction and handling.
There are two other features that are also important for good dry performance: 3D canyon sipes and heat diffuser technology. The 3D sipe tech interlocks the shoulders to resist damage from high torque, while the heat diffuser feature dissipates heat to further protect the internal components from damage. This provides additional vehicle stability and handling stability, even when you’re transporting heavy cargo.
Overall, the WildPeak A/T3W has an outstanding off-road performance, especially in dry and wet weather conditions. Mud, gravel, rocks and grass have nothing on this tire, as braking, acceleration and cornering are responsive and easy.
Thanks to the silica tread compound the Falken WildPeak A/T3W contains, the tire has not only excellent wear life, but also fantastic wet performance. The tire remains stable even when driving over large pools of water, providing great confidence in braking and cornering in wet weather conditions. Besides the silica tread compound, this model has another feature that aids in wet performance: deep treads. In fact, the manufacturer claims the WildPeak A/T3W has the deepest tread in the category, which ensures excellent hydroplaning capabilities; in other words, it’s practically impossible to hydroplane with these tires.
We mentioned that most drivers find the WildPeak A/T3W’s dry performance to be just as good as wet performance. If anything, we found that the tire performs slightly better in rain! This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, as the model sports incredibly aggressive, rugged design that allows it to practically cut through anything on the surface of the road until it reaches solid pavement/ground. This is why the WildPeak A/T3W also has fantastic winter performance.
What do you get when you combine aggressive design, rugged and rigid tread blocks and deep treads? Brilliant winter performance – proved by the Falken WildPeak A/T3W’s severe snow emblem. This model is truly safe, stable and responsive in winter conditions, including deep snow. Here is how it manages to meet the traction standards of winter tires:
- 3D Canyon Sipe tech: this feature interlocks the shoulders, providing handling stability under different weather conditions, including snow and ice.
- Rugged tread pattern: rugged and rigid tread blocks grab the snow and push it aside, enhancing handling and vehicle stability even further.
- Deep treads: as mentioned, Falken boasts one of the deepest treads in the class, providing consistent snow resistance throughout the life of the tire.
The WildPeak A/T3W tire’s traction on snow and ice is simply put, excellent. If you live in areas with long, cold and very snowy winters, this is hands down the best all-season tire you could purchase.
The Falken’s WildPeak A/T3W tire comes in a wide range of sizes, from 15 inches to 20 inches. It also fits a number of vehicles, some of which include (this is not a complete list):
- Chevrolet: Colorado, Silverado, Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
- Ford: Expedition, Explorer, Ranger, F-150, F-250, F-350
- Jeep: Cherokee, Wrangler
- Nissan: Frontier, Titan, Pathfinder
- Toyota: Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser
- GMC: Yukon, Jimmy, Canyon, Sierra
Falken provides a 55,000 mile limited tread life warranty on the WildPeak A/T3W tire. Tire uniformity is guaranteed for the first 2/23” of wear, while the workmanship and materials warranty includes 5 years from the date of production. Free replacement is given for the first 2/32” of wear, then prorated until 2/32” of remaining depth. It’s worth noting that there is no manufacturer’s road hazard warranty with this model.
The conclusion? Falken’s WildPeak A/T3W tire has raised the bar among the hybrid (AT and MT) tires. It’s incredibly tough, durable and long-lasting, providing safe, comfortable and stable rides no matter the terrain or weather. And, as a bonus, it’s budget-friendly!