In this guide of the best home windshield repair kits, we have a number of windshield repair kit reviews that take into consideration the key features that make up the top DIY windshield repair kits. We investigate what to look into when buying a windshield crack repair kit and the key reasons why you should purchase a windshield repair kit prior to seeking professional windshield crack repair.
With that in mind, we also cover what is better, a windshield repair or windshield replacement, and if you choose a windshield crack repair how to use a windshield repair kit. Finally, we look at how to keep a windshield crack from spreading until you can ultimately resolve the problem.
The Best Windshield Repair Kit
In short, our Rain X Windshield repair kit review found the glass chip repair kit to be the best glass repair kit on the market. It can be used to prevent any damage from cracks further spreading across your windshield as well as to make superficial issues with your windscreen look a lot better.
It works by removing air from the break, chip or scratch and filling it with a durable resin. It works best when used as soon after the problem was caused so that no dirt or water can further contaminate the area. It is absolutely perfect for round damaged areas that are about one inch in diameter and for cracks that are no longer than twelve inches.
- Advanced resin formula
- Can be used for multiple repairs
- Can be used to repair cracks in all types of laminated windshields
- Brand Rain-X
- Model 600001-6PK-6PK
- Weight 1.15 lbs
Easy to use
Resin makes cracks and chips stronger than before
A little patience is needed to get the best results
Won’t repair damage to more than one layer of glass
This does it yourself glass chip repair kit is made to help any car driver or vehicle owner to be able to patch up a crack in their windshield to almost professional standards. It works by being able to get deep into any chip or windshield crack and then the resin is helped by sunlight to dry and stop the crack from spreading.
This window crack repair kit is capable of repairing one crack per pack and is a very cost effective way of solving what can sometimes be an expensive problem. It came high up in our windshield repair kit reviews for being able to restore windshields to almost new condition and we found it to offer one of the best windshield repair methods on the market.
- Restores windshield by performing a windshield crack repair to near new condition
- Uses a resin that is dried by the sun for a strong repair
- Can perform almost professional standard windshield crack
- Brand Blue Star
- Model 777
- Weight 3.2 oz
Clear instruction sheet included
Stops cracks from spreading
Resin contains strong chemicals
Our review of the Permatex 09103 windshield repair kit found that the kit was one of the best home windshield repair kits on the market. It is capable of making permanent airtight repairs on almost every single laminated windshield glass that is used in cars. Plus it has some of the easiest instructions to follow making it a breeze to use.
We also liked the advanced spring lock feature in the delivery system which is unique to this glass chip repair kit.
- Can repair chips that are round or irregular shaped
- Comes in either a 6 pack or a single unit
- Cost effective way of conducting a repair
- Brand Permatex
- Model 09103-6PK
- Weight 15.4 oz
No mixing required – dries by natural sun
Can be fiddly at first, but the step by step video is very helpful
This is a fantastic little window crack repair kit. It comes fully packed with all the tools that anyone will need for a windshield crack repair or even a bullseye type chip. It works by filling in the chip or crack with a highly durable resin that will dry out in the sun in no time at all. The result is a high-quality repair.
As with all Blue Star glass chip repair kits, this is simple and easy to use and importantly will help prevent further damage and cracking to your glass or windshield. It can be used on the majority of windshields but it best to do a little light research before finally committing to using this glass chip repair kit on your vehicle.
- Uses highly durable, UV drying resin
- Includes all tools needed to perform repair
- Works to prevent damage spreading
- Brand Blue Star
- Model CSA-192
- Weight 1.6 oz
The most simple windshield repair kit available on the market
Can restore a windshield crack to almost new condition
Difficult to rectify mistakes
This glass chip repair kit is one of the cheapest and one of the best windshield repair kits that is available to purchase. It contains a high-quality resin that will help fix any necessary auto glass repair that your windshield may need. It is easy to use and the instructions are easy to follow.
The result is a high standard repair that is difficult to see once completed. Customers are always pleasantly surprised by the quality of the result, especially given the price. The suction device can take a little getting used to, but once mastered it helps result in a repair that is far more cost-effective than a professional job.
- Uses suction cups to ensure the resin goes in the right place
- Resin is highly durable
- Comes with easy to follow instructions
- Brand Bywabee
- Weight 0.32 oz
Masks imperfections to the naked eye
Suction cups are difficult to use at first
This glass chip repair kit is a good alternative to the Permatex 09103 windshield repair kit that made it into our top three. It claims to be the first one-component windshield repair system which means that the kit comes fully prepped with a preloaded syringe full of resin to help with any windshield crack repair.
Like all Permatex kits, and they make some of the best home windshield repair kits available, it can be used to make most cracks in a windshield almost unnoticeable to the untrained eye. Plus, the syringe in this pack not only makes things a lot neater and tidier in the process of repairing your windshield, but it also protects you from harmful chemicals too.
- Syringe comes fully loaded with resin for ease
- Can be used to repair a chip up to just over an inch in diameter
- No heating required – just sunlight
- Brand Permatex
- Model 16067
- Weight 11.2 oz
Very little mess created
Makes a crack or chip almost undetectable
A syringe may not be big enough for some cracks or chips.
With all the tools it provides, this kit is not only one of the best DIY windshield repair kits on the market, but it also provides users with excellent value for money. Not only will customers find everything they need in this kit, but they will also be able to save themselves the cost of a professional auto glass repair.
The kit gives users a professional standard resin to plug any gaps, chips or cracks in their windshield which dries from colored to clear so that chips become almost undetectable. It totally smooths over all lumps and bumps so that car drivers can enjoy a distraction-free windshield whilst driving.
- Comes with own free mini scraper
- Can help restore a windshield to almost new condition
- Perfect for the tiniest of hairline cracks
- Brand Bluestar
- Model BlueStarFixYourWindshieldMini
- Weight 0.32 oz
Excellent value for money
Designed to stop cracks from spreading
Not the biggest amount of resin provided
This glass chip repair kit by J-B Weld makes it on to our best windshield repair kit owing to the whole host of features it provides to help its customers attain a professional standard repair to their windshield.
It can be used across all laminated windshields to help salvage any small chips and cracks on a vehicle’s windows. It works to help minimize the appearance of this damage and yet also helps protect a windshield against further cracking.
- Can be used to repair bullseye, star or stone chip damage to a windshield
- Uses a single component resin that is applied using a pedestal and syringe system
- Sun activated, fast curing acrylic resin included
- Brand J-B Weld
- Model 2100
- Weight 1.6 oz
Easy to use
Can be used on all laminated windshields
Can only be used on small damaged areas
This professional standard glass chip repair kit is great if you have any type of windshield damage to the glass of your car. The repair tool, which is a syringe loaded with resin, can be used quickly and easily to patch up this damage so that any further issues will be prevented.
The product uses a vacuum high-pressure injection method with its syringe so that it totally removes any air from the crack or chip that helps provide a clear and professional finish once dried. The resin is powerful but it won’t damage your windshield any further and it can be used on any glass that has been laminated.
- Uses a specialized, non-yellowing resin
- Employs a vacuum pressure method to draw out any air from cracks
- Repair resin is quick drying
- Brand PDR king
- Model Windshield Repair Kit
- Weight 4.5 oz
Easy to use syringe applicator
Easily stops cracks from spreading
Some cracks will need more resin than provided
This kit by Auto Glass Repair is a quality product that allows car drivers to do their own windshield crack repair without the cost of having to take it to the auto shop for a full windshield replacement.
It makes it onto our list of top window crack repair kits as, though expensive, it gives customers some of the best equipment possible for all their repair needs. There is enough equipment included to complete over 200 repairs, should you need it which is hard to beat in terms of the best DIY windshield repair kit available.
- Contains all tools and equipment for a technician
- Used in Auto Glass repair shop locations
- Provides a robust and durable finish
- Brand Clearshield
- Model C200
- Weight 5.86 lbs
Excellent at reducing the rough edges of chips
Provides value for money repair
Some may find the syringe in this kit too stiff
What to Consider When Buying a Windshield Repair Kit
When looking at what window crack repair kit is best for you, it is good to bear a few things in mind before making your final purchase.
Firstly, assess the type of windshield damage that has occurred in the glass of your car. Different types of cracks and chips will need different types of repair, or sometimes even replacement. Plus, depending on the size of the crack will make a difference to the size of kit you need.
You will also need to ascertain how much pressure your windshield can take before it starts to crack even further – this is important as some pressure is required when repairing your windshield chip with a glass chip repair kit. If your windshield can only withstand a certain amount of pressure, then it will buckle whilst you are trying to fix it if you apply too much.
It is also good to inspect and double check what resin your chosen windshield chip repair kit has. For the best possible finish in terms of looks and how long it will last, the resin needs to be the correct type for the damage you have incurred. Lastly, always remember to smooth the resin on your window glass so that your wiper blades do not catch on any lumps or bumps that have been left behind. This can either undo all your good work or ruin your windscreen wipers.
Why You Should Purchase a Windshield Repair Kit
Windshield crack repair kits are great and cost-effective ways of fixing a windshield if it has been damaged slightly by a stone or any other means. Cracks in windshields can be dangerous as if they get worse, the car becomes undrivable as visibility it so diminished – not to mention the risk of shards of glass flying in every direction.
A glass chip repair kit is great therefore as they more often than not work towards not only making the chip almost invisible, they also prevent it from getting any worse. The best windshield repair kit will include all the tools and materials you need to fix and repair your windshield so that no more damage can develop.
Windshield Repair vs. Windshield Replacements: Which One is Better?
There is no question that a windshield repair is cheaper than a windshield replacement. Plus, not all cracks or chips require a replacement in the majority of instances. Whether they do or not is totally dependent on the following four factors. It is ultimately then up to the car owner to decide therefore whether to have the windshield replaced or repaired – but it is not a decision to take lightly as a windscreen cracking beyond any use whilst driving is incredibly dangerous for both the car driver and other cars on the ride.
- The size of the crack – Any crack in your windshield that is longer than 18 inches or a foot and a half will result in the windshield having to be replaced. It is too prone to spreading otherwise and causing further damage as well as increased risk to the driver and passenger.
- The depth of the crack – If a car windshield has been chipped deeper than 2 inches then the windshield will need a total replacement. The reason being is that repair anything that deep to a usable standard is incredibly difficult to night on impossible. Any repair that is made, simply won’t last and could cause greater costs in the future than having the windscreen replaced there and then.
- The location of the crack – depending on where the crack is playing a huge part in whether the windscreen should be repaired or if it is better to replace it completely. Locations that call for a replacement are in the sight line of the driver – both at the front of the car and the back.
- The type of damage incurred – this may sound odd but not all types of damage taken to a windshield can be repaired. Bullseyes or star breaks, as well as small chips, can all be repaired fairly easily. However, if you have been unfortunate enough to have acquired several types of cracks and chips, then there is a high chance that your windshield should be replaced. Speak to a professional in this instance.
If you do have to have your windshield totally replaced, there are more economical ways to do it than simply having it replaced with a new part from your car manufacturer at your local auto glass repair shop. Instead, try shopping around for a quote with local garages where you may be able to use an OEM part or an aftermarket part that has been refurbished. That being said, sometimes with a part as fundamental and important to the ability to drive a car, it is just easier and better, in the long run, to take the hit financially and have the windshield replaced as new. It’s expensive, but at least you can guarantee it will work and won’t cause your car any trouble in the future.
How to Use the Windshield Repair Kits
Windshield repair kits are easy to use, once you know how. Follow these steps to ensure you get the best possible finish when using one of the above from our windshield repair kit reviews.
- Pay attention to how big a crack or chip the repair kit tells you it can fix. Don’t try to force the issue as you could end up damaging your windshield more.
- Clean your windshield thoroughly and ensure that no debris is in or around the damaged area.
- Use your kit’s applicator and put over the chip or crack. There will be an extension base that needs to be inserted into the applicator.
- Put a syringe of resin over the applicator extension and secure it. This will remove all air from inside the applicator by creating a resin chamber.
- Start to syringe drops of resin into the applicator
- Put a screw from your kit into the chamber and tighten. This will spread and firmly press the resin into your windshield. Leave it there for up to 10 minutes.
- Unscrew the kit as the resin should have dried by now.
- The resin will need to be cured as per your kit’s instructions. This is often done through the use of direct sunlight.
- Remove any excess resin with a razor.
How to Keep a Windshield Crack from Spreading
There are a number of ways car owners can keep a windshield crack from spreading, other than buying the best windshield repair kit available on the market. However, the following ideas and tips are short-term solutions if you do not have a window crack repair kit to hand and can’t get to a technician’s quickly.
- Use super glue. If the crack or chip is miniscule you can actually use superglue to stop the crack from spreading. It needs to contain cyanoacrylate and it needs to forced into the crack or chip in an even layer.
- Use clear nail polish. This really is a very short-term solution, but it has been seen that nail varnish can actually stop a windshield crack from spreading. Apply it as you would to a nail, but make sure the surface is clean first and apply it generously. It needs to fill the crack as well as being spread around it so that the crack does not spread. This should buy a driver enough time to get a professional repair done.
- Park in the shade. If you notice a chip in your car, but can’t get to an auto shop there and then, remember to park in the shade until it is fixed. The temperature of the sun can really affect the glass and therefore the crack within it. To protect against all weather, try to park inside whenever possible.
It is important to stress that these are only ever short-term solutions so that your car can be driven as quickly as possible either to a garage to have the chip repaired by a professional or to an auto shop where you can buy a glass chip repair kit so you can fix the chip yourself. Driving with a cracked windshield, whether you have protected it with super glue or not, can be dangerous both to you and others on the road around you.
Our Top Pick
Our best windshield repair kit is the Rain X Windshield Repair Kit reviewed above. We love it because users can be assured that no crack in their windshield will spread after using this glass chip repair kit owing to the quality of the tools and resin provided. It is quite simply the best DIY windshield repair kit on the market.
Plus, it is so easy to use that customers can be confident of the finish they will achieve when they buy it – even if they have never used a window crack repair kit before. While others like the Permatex 09103 windshield repair kit are most definitely reputable in their own right, we found that this Rain X windshield repair kit lived up to all its positive reviews. Plus, the size of crack or chip it can be used to fix is a little larger than standard which shows the manufacturer’s confidence in its product.