- 1. Car Cozy Heated Travel Blanket
- 2. Stalwart Electric Car Blanket
- 3. Roadpro Heated Travel Blanket
- 4. Maxsa Innovations Large Heated Travel Blanket
- 5. Sojoy Smart Multifunctional Travel Electric Blanket
- 6. Camco Polar Fleece Heated Blanket for Cars
- 7. Schumacher Heated Travel Blanket
- 8. Sojoy Heated Smart Travel Electric Blanket for Car
- 9. Zone Tech Car Heated Travel Blanket
- 10. HOEE Car Electric Warm Blanket
- Best Heated Car Blanket Buying Guide & FAQ
Cold winter mornings and evenings in your vehicle are no fun, but there is a way that you can combat the chill. A heated car blanket will warm you up and can be useful for camping and tailgate parties as well. When you add an electric blanket to your emergency kit, you know that there will always be a way to keep warm.
An electric car blanket plugs into your vehicle’s 12-volt power socket and warms up quickly using internal wires. Many come with automatic shut-off mechanism for your safety, and some allow you to select a heat level too. There are plenty of electric heated car blankets to choose from, so to help you make your selection, check out our useful guide.
The Best Electric Blanket
This heated car blanket is a good companion for a long ride in cooler months. It is big enough (58 inches x 42 inches) to cover you and a companion, but why not keep it all to yourself? It’s made from 100-percent polyester fleece, which gives you both warmth and super-soft comfort even when it is not plugged in. Kids love to cuddle up in it on the rear seat of the car.
It will plug into any 12-volt power outlet and has a seven-foot-long fused cord, so it can be used anywhere in your car or even on a boat. To ensure your safety, there is a 30 or 45-minute timer that will automatically shut off the heat. All you have to do is press the reset button to keep the warmth flowing.
- Large enough to cover two passengers
- Made from 100% polyester fleece
- Plugs into a 12 volt power outlet
- Automatic timed shut-off for safety
- Brand Car Cozy
- Model TWI-2001
- Weight 1 pound
Very easy to reset
Cord is long enough to stretch to the rear seat of a large car
Very soft and comfortable
No way to alter the temperature – it’s either on or off
No quilting in the middle of the fleece
Available in six attractive colors, this is just what you have been looking for to keep you and your family cozy on a road trip or when camping. It can be used in all sorts of cars, trucks, RVs, and SUVs. The winter chill will be no problem for you with this blanket as part of your cold weather emergency kit.
All you have to do is plug it into your vehicle’s 12-volt electric socket or cigarette lighter. The blanket heats up rapidly and will stay warm until you decide to turn it off. It does not get too hot because it only contains a thin wire. Thanks to the 96-inch cord, you can use the blanket anywhere in the vehicle with ease. When you are not using it, it folds up into its storage case and takes up hardly any room in your trunk. Use it yourself or give it as a gift.
- Available in six colors
- Plugs into 12 volt electric socket
- 96 inch cord to reach anywhere in your vehicle
- Folds away for neat storage
- Brand Stalwart
- Model 75-BP700
- Weight 2.35 pounds
Heats up quickly
Long cable reaches everywhere in the car
Very useful if other passengers don’t want the car heater on
Can feel a bit stiff due to the wires
No temperature control – just on and off
This snuggly navy electric blanket is made from a polar fleece fabric that is guaranteed to keep you cozy and warm. You can use it without power or you can plug it into a 12-volt socket (or cigarette lighter) where it will draw 4.6 amps (55 watts) and provide a gentle and constant heat. The LED light on the plug indicates that current is flowing.
It’s big enough to cover you completely but will fold neatly away into the provided storage bag with a zipper when it is not in use. The power cord has plenty of length (eight feet) to reach anywhere inside your vehicle.
- Made from 100% polar fleece
- Plugs into a 12V socket or cigarette lighter
- LED light indicates it is on
- Folds away neatly into a zippered storage bag
- Brand RoadPro
- Model RPHB-110DB
- Weight 1 pounds
Begins heating as soon as it is plugged in
Preset to reach a maximum operating temperature and will not overheat
Uses very little power
No automatic timer
Cannot be washed
A highly useful addition to your cold weather emergency kit in your car, truck, or trailer, this blanket is safe, warm and comfortable. It is made from strong polyester fleece that is durable and retains heat so you can use it simply as a normal blanket. It is large enough to fit over two people. It’s available in three attractive colors and patterns: leopard, navy blue and red plaid.
When you need additional warmth, you simply plug it into the 12-volt outlet in your vehicle, which you can reach from the back seat thanks to the seven-foot cable. It only uses 48 watts of power and will not drain your battery, but within 15 minutes it will be warm enough for you to wrap around you. There are a couple of features to keep you safe: a timer automatically switches off the blanket after 30 to 45 minutes, and there is a 10-amp fuse that prevents current overload and excessive heating.
- Large enough for two people
- Available in three colors
- Seven foot cable to reach rear seats
- Safety features to prevent overheating
- Brand Maxsa Innovations
- Model 20014
- Weight 2 pounds
Retains heat very well
Very soft and comfortable
Cable is very flexible
Can’t be used without engine running – will drain battery
Material holds dust
With this electric heated blanket you are totally in control. It has a control button on the cable that allows you to choose a high, medium or low heating level to keep you comfortable in all weather conditions and thanks to the thermostat, you will never overheat. You can also choose an automatic shut-off period that can be 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 60 minutes.
It comes in three lovely colors and is made from polyester fleece that feels lovely and cozy in cold weather. It plugs directly into your car’s 12-volt socket and warms up quickly.
- Three heat levels to choose from
- 30, 45 and 60 minute automatic shut-off
- Made from polyester fleece
- Plugs into 12v socket
- Brand Sojoy
- Model ZA602 24 43
- Weight 7.4 ounces
Fits securely into 12v socket without falling out
Heats up quickly
Feels as if wire inside could break easily
You won’t fear cold nights camping or long journeys in your car once you purchase this warm and comfortable electric car blanket that won’t break the bank. It will be a valuable addition to your camping kit and your car emergency kit.
It is powered from your car’s power socket via a seven foot cord, and it draws very little amperage so you don’t have to worry about it draining your battery. The blanket is made from polar fleece to make it super soft and comfortable.
- Warm and cozy
- Simple operation – just plug it in
- Low amperage draw – will not run-down battery
- Made from polar fleece
- Brand Camco
- Model 42804
- Weight 1 pounds
Won’t run down the battery
Not that big
Takes 10 minutes to heat up
There is plenty of room under this 42-inch by 58-inch blanket for two people to snuggle up on cold winter nights or chilly mornings. It is ideal to keep in the trunk of your car, SUV or truck and will be there for any traveling emergency that you encounter.
You can either drape it over yourself or use it as a seat warmer. It’s made out of cozy polar fleece and has a long, eight-foot cord that will reach wherever you are in the vehicle. Just plug it into your 12-volt socket and it starts heating up – it’s as simple as that. Whether you are a professional driver or just someone who hates cold mornings, this is what you need.
- Large blanket that will cover two people
- Folds up neatly in your trunk
- Simple to operate
- Made from cozy polar fleece
- Brand Schumacher
- Model 1222
- Weight 1 pounds
Heats up quickly
Doesn’t get that warm
Not that easy to wash/clean
You can use this blanket with or without an electric power source as it has a removable electric plug that is an extremely useful feature. If you do decide that you want to use it as an electric blanket, it simply plugs into the 12-volt socket of any car, SUV or truck. It folds up neatly and can be stored in your trunk ready for a cold morning, a camping trip or a roadside emergency.
It has a thermostat that can be set to one of three heat levels and an automatic shut-off that can be set to 30 minutes, 45 minutes and 60 minutes. It’s made of soft polyester and has an attractive camouflage print on both sides, although it is also available in plain grey and navy. When it’s dirty, you can pop it in your washing machine.
- Easy to use with and without power source
- Thermostat with three heat settings
- Automatic timed shut-off
- Made from soft polyester
- Brand Sojoy
- Model SJ734R
- Weight 1.8 pounds
Electric plug can be removed
Some reliability issues – has to be handled very carefully
Does not get hot enough for some users
Soothing heat and comfort are delivered in plenty of style with this pack of two electric blankets. It’s just what you need for cold weather and helps to boost your metabolism and maintain your core temperature. They are made from 100-percent polar fleece and have a non-flammable design for your safety. Because the wires are built into the fabric of the blankets, no lumpy wires can spoil your comfort.
When you need them, simply unfold them and plug into the 12-volt electric socket in your vehicle. There is a control panel that allows you to set the temperature and the 45 minute timer. When not in use, they can be folded up and stored in the trunk or used as a soft pillow.
- Made from 100% polar fleece
- Non-flammable material for your safety
- Wires are cleverly hidden for comfort
- Temperature and timer settings
- Brand Idepet
- Model SE0058
- Weight 4 ounces
Heats up very quickly
Reaches an ideal temperature
Controls are easy to use
Some owners found the material scratchy
Didn’t get hot enough for some consumers
This is a generously sized checked blanket that comes with an integrated circuit. You know when it is operating because the LED digital display will be lit. You can choose a high, medium, or low temperature to get the level of heating that you desire.
It is powered by a 12-volt low voltage power supply (eight-foot-long cord) such as that provided inside a car and complies with safety standards, including CE, ETL and c-tick. The outer layer can be detached and is easy to clean by wiping down with a cloth. It is also soft and comfortable.
- Eight feet power cord
- Soft and comfortable
- Fits into 12 v power socket
- Can choose from three heat levels
- Brand LETTON
- Model TK-BCAR01
- Weight 2.2 pounds
Heats up in two minutes
Reaches a high temperature
Need to careful when folding it
Some consumers felt it could be warmer
Best Heated Car Blanket Buying Guide & FAQ
Features to Consider When Buying a Heated Car Blanket
A heated electric blanket for your car may not be the biggest investment that you will ever make, but it is important that you choose the right one because when you need it, you will really rely on it! Here are the main things that you should consider when making your choice.
- Electric blankets come in many sizes. Think about how many people will need to fit under it. Is it for you and a loved one to snuggle up under, for your children on the rear seat or just for you on a winter morning? Make sure that you get one that is big enough for your purposes but not too big and bulky.
- Color and pattern. This may not be a major consideration if the blanket is simply part of your cold weather emergency kit, but it may be important if you want to use it when sat on your tailgate with friends. Many come in several different colors.
- Automatic shut off. This is a safety feature that may appeal to you. It means that your blanket will turn off after a certain period of time and will not overheat. Some blankets allow you to set the shut off period.
- Heat level. Some blankets are simply ‘on’ or ‘off’ but others allow you to choose a heat level. This gives you more control over your comfort.
- Safety features. You may want to choose a blanket that has a fuse that will not allow it to overheat. This can be a useful safety feature. There are also safety standards that apply to this sort of product and you may want to check that the blanket complies. Some are described as non-flammable, which is a sensible safety feature.
- Speed of heating up. Most car owners like their blankets to heat up quickly. If they take an hour to get hot, there is not much point in you having one!
- Blanket care. In general, you will not be able to put an electric blanket in a washing machine. There are some that claim that you can, but the wires inside are very delicate and can easily break. Most can be wiped down with a damp cloth.
- Length of electric cord. Think about where in the vehicle you want to use the blanket and how big your vehicle is. Cords can be up to eight feet or even longer, and you may need this if you have a big SUV and you need it to reach to the back. On the other hand, if you have a small car, you may find that a long cable is a nuisance.
Benefits of a Portable Heated Blanket
There are plenty of reasons for investing in an electric car blanket. They are one of those products that you soon learn to rely on. Here are the top benefits that you will soon learn to value.
- Cold mornings. No one likes to get into a freezing car on a cold morning. If you are tired of your passengers complaining, they can wrap themselves up in one of these blankets and keep nice and warm.
- Tailgate parties and camping. Sometimes, the thought of a get together in the great outdoors is more appealing than reality. When you have a portable heated blanket, you can stay outdoors for longer without getting chilled and uncomfortable.
- Long road trips with kids. Road trips with kids can be very challenging. It helps a lot if they are willing to take a nap and if they have a warm blanket to snuggle under, that is more likely to happen.
- Truckers and couriers. Some people have to drive for a living, but for safety and legal reasons they have to be able to sleep in their vehicles. An electric blanket keeps them nice and warm while they are getting valuable rest.
- For those who like different temperatures. Are you sick of arguments because your passengers like the car to be hotter than you do? Now, you can put all that behind you. Get them an electric car blanket to keep them warm and you can turn the heating down by a few degrees. Everyone will be happy!
- Aches and pains. If you need to ease muscular aches and pains after a strenuous exercise session or if you are feeling under the weather, a portable electric blanket is just what you need.
Best Heated Car Blanket FAQ:
Q: How does a car electric blanket work?
A: A car electric blanket works in generally the same way as a regular electric blanket. There are electrical wires within the fabric or contained between two sheets of fabric. The wires act like heating elements – when current flows through them, they heat up.
The only difference is that car electric blankets use a low voltage and have very thin carbon fiber wires inside them. Some have a fuse that will blow if too much current passes through them.
Q: How safe are heated blankets?
A: As with any electric device, there is a certain level of risk associated with heated blankets, but there is a lot that you can do to make sure that you are safe.
This starts when you buy one. Make sure that you purchase one from a reputable supplier and that it complies with the relevant safety standards. Do not buy a secondhand one and reject one that is damaged in any way.
Every time you get the blanket out to use it, check for any signs of damage and wear and tear. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully, and keep them away from water. Do not drape it over yourself when you are driving as it could make you feel drowsy.
It may also be safer to select a blanket that has an automatic shut off. This will prevent it from overheating and presenting a fire hazard. Many blankets are made from non-flammable fabric, which is an excellent safety feature.
Q: Can I sleep with an electric car blanket?
A: Sleeping with an electric blanket on is not advisable. The best plan is to use the blanket to get warm and then turn it off before you go to sleep. Your own body heat will then be contained within the blanket and should keep you warm.
The danger with this plan is that you could accidentally fall asleep without turning off the blanket. This is where an automatic shut off is so useful. You can get shut offs that can be set for 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 60 minutes. This means that you can relax without having to worry about turning off the blanket.
Q: How long does a portable heated blanket take to heat up?
A: Some suppliers quote how long the blankets take to warm up or you may have to read the reviews to get an accurate picture. It is usually a matter of minutes and can be as rapid as just two minutes. Some can take more like six or seven minutes to get warm.
Q: How long do heated car blankets last?
A: You should get several years’ of wear out of your blanket, but some are not so durable. The main issues tend to occur if the socket gets knocked and damaged, which is easy to do.
Also, if you fold the blanket in the same way every time, you can weaken the wires and they may break. This will stop it from heating up.
Q: Will an electric car blanket stay on when the vehicle is off?
A: If your 12-volt plug is designed to be used when the car is off, your electric blanket will work. It does not draw a huge amount of power and should not run down the battery. However, this is not true for all cars and you may find that it will not work. Check your vehicle manual to find out.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick, the Car Cozy Heated Travel Blanket, is big enough to cover two people. It’s made from 100-percent polyester fleece for warmth and comfort even when it is not plugged in. Kids love to cuddle up in it on the rear seat of the car.
It plugs into any 12-volt power outlet and has a seven-foot fused cord, so it can be used anywhere in a vehicle or even on a boat. The 30- or 45-minute timer automatically shuts off the heat, and you just press the reset button to keep the warmth flowing.