Harley-Davidsons are more than just motorcycles; riding them is a way of life. For decades, the iconic American bike maker has inspired the hearts of many motorcycle enthusiasts. However, central to enjoying your bike is a good battery. You must find the right battery replacement when the one you’re using fails. Then you might find yourself asking: what is the best battery for a Harley-Davidson? Below we take a look at the best Harley-Davidson batteries for your bike.
The Best Batteries for Harley Davidson
The Throttle HDX30L Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery is our top pick. The manufacturer takes great pride in being based in America, and it is an excellent battery for your Harley-Davidson. It comes fully charged, and there is no need for maintenance; you just purchase it and install it on your bike.
It’s an AGM (absorbed glass mat battery) battery, so it is good with high heat and doesn’t suffer the same problems as some other types of batteries that need to be kept upright at all times. It is also an excellent choice for many Harley-Davidson models between 1997-2016 like the Electra Glide, Road Glide, and Road King. What’s more, it is a very suitable Harley ultra classic battery replacement that comes with solid lead terminals that are female threaded along with some stainless steel bolts for good measure. The HDX30L also has the distinct quality of sharing the same power as your original Harley battery.
- AGM type battery resistant to high heat and spillage
- Proudly Made in the USA
- Versatile as it fits most 1997-2016 models
- Spillage resistant with Hot sealed cover and solid lead, female threaded terminals
- Brand THROTTLEX
- Model Loopilops
- Weight 0.16 ounces
Fits with most 1997-2016 models
Easy to install
Same quality as original Harley battery
A bit pricey
Isn’t as effective with a Road King
Isn’t great in cold weather
Techies will get a kick out of this one as it comes with a digital display. The Chrome Battery YTX7A-BS Motorcycle Battery is an AGM battery and comes with an intelligent chip. The much-lauded digital display makes you aware of the voltage of the battery and alternator. There’s also an alarm system, which is pretty handy when it comes to warning you of low capacity/voltage. It also has a longer lifespan than the more common SLA batteries and is capable of being recharged on multiple occasions. Its ability to handle heavy vibrations, which come thanks to the tough bridge welding, makes the Chrome battery ideal for some of the faster Harleys out there. It’s a hassle-free battery that comes just about ready to go, and there is no need for any water checks. What’s more, it is also maintenance-free, which reduces your worries when it comes to using it. With its many impressive features, the Chrome battery is the quintessential Harley battery.
- Tough Bridge Welding makes it absorb vibrations a lot easier
- Digital Display which puts out voltage stats and alarm system for any abnormalities
- Can be charged multiple times
- Safe to handle and can be mounted in any position
- Brand Chrome Battery
- Model YTX7A-BS iGel
- Weight 5.42 pounds
Able to alert you of abnormalities
Might not work well with scooters
Some consumers complain of poor charge hold
Poor after-sales service
The Rechargeable YTX20L-BS Motorcycle Battery by Pirate Battery boasts AGM separators between its plates. It’s a high-powered, high-performance battery that is just right for your Harley-Davidson. The battery is made with the highest quality materials available. The AGM separators make it so the battery completely absorbs and traps any acid, which in turn makes the battery spill-proof and leak-proof. It comes pre-charged, so you can get started using it without a hassle, and its low discharging rate means it’s something you can use for the long haul.
It looks great too. It is really cool that it has the Pirate design on the side, which fits in well with its high-energy, high-output features. And while the design is great, that isn’t all there is to it. Due to the cover being made of Polypropylene, it has a reserve electrolyte function, which makes the battery sturdy even in cold weather.
- Nifty design with Polypropylene cover which makes it resistant to colder climes
- Properly sealed with zero worries about spillages and leaks
- Greater cranking power due to shorter current path
- It can be used on more than just the Harley. Useful for ATVs, Jet Skis, etc.
- Brand Pirate Battery
- Model YTX20L-BS
- Weight 13.07 pounds
A competent design which makes it leakproof
Can withstand colder temperatures
Terminal design a little outdated
Might be cumbersome to install with some bikes
Might not be a good fit for some bikes
Is the Yuasa YUAM732HL Battery the best Harley Davidson battery out there? It certainly is a trusted brand, and with an impressive rating of 500 cold-cranking amps, you can be sure that even when in a less than ideal environment temperature-wise, you will still be fine. This is especially true if you happen to live in an area that is especially cold, then this would definitely be the battery for you.
It also works really well for some of the bigger Harley models, such as the Ultra Classic and Road King. It is made with some of the best materials around, and its advanced lead-calcium technology makes it superior to many of its peers in the market, especially in its ability to hold its specific gravity. With its sealed nature, there is no need to add water to the battery as all of that has been catered for before reaching you. You can also be sure that there would be no spills or the like to worry about with this one.
- Impressive CCA rating of about 500 makes it perfect for freezing regions
- Works really well with bigger Harleys like the Road King
- Lead-calcium technology makes it hold more power than normal batteries
- Highly resistant to vibrations
- Brand Yuasa
- Model YUAM723HL
- Weight 15.2 pounds
Uniquely suited Harley Davidson battery replacement
No need for water
High price makes it unsuitable for some
Storage issues sometimes mean you have to check voltage before installation
Some consumers complained of poor lifespan
Another Yuasa entry shows just how trusted they are as manufacturers of Harley Davidson replacement batteries. They have a long history in which they have consistently provided quality, and in the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L, we have another solid addition to their list of great batteries. This one features absorbed glass mat separators, and its solid construction eliminates the need for any sort of maintenance on it. It can be easily installed and is then good to go. It also comes with an acid bottle as it is supplied dry and holds charges really well; what’s more, its low discharging quality makes it so that it can be easily used intermittently, and there would still be no problems. It does require charging, but not too often. Keep the 6.87 by 3.43 by 6.12 inches measurements in mind as they would be necessary so as to know if it fits with your Harley Davidson.
- There is no need to maintain it as it comes ready-made
- The battery is delivered dry with an acid bottle
- Able to hold its specific gravity much better than most brands due to advanced lead-calcium tech
- Absorbed glass mat separators make it resistant to spillage
- Brand Yuasa
- Model YUAM320BS
- Weight 14.85 pounds
Able to hold a charge longer between use
Instantly ready to use
Poor Battery lifespan
Poor customer service after the purchase
Some consumers were unaware that they have to use the acid bottle
If you are a fan of batteries with explosive power and you have the means to afford it, the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 Battery is probably one you should look at. Long-lasting, it is a battery that will work hard for you and one you should be able to get a lot of joy out of. It’s a Lithium-Ion battery with 18Ah 12 Volt “A” polarity. Lithium batteries are generally very safe to use and by nature, are highly unlikely to explode during charge. Also, due to the Lithium battery, it delivers more power to the bike and makes for a longer-lasting experience.
It also charges pretty quickly, so you know you’re not stuck waiting for ages for your battery to charge which in turn means you can get back to riding as soon as possible, so if you have a bike that consumes a lot of power, like your Harley, you should opt for a Shorai.
- It cranks very quickly which makes for better starts for your motorbike
- Fast recharging so you’re not stuck waiting and not riding
- Lithium-Ion battery makes for more power and safer charging
- Not heavy and is much lighter than the normal lead-acid batteries on show
- Brand Shorai
- Model 423810
- Weight 2.29 pounds
Lightweight and easy to lug about
Better and faster cranks
Price range makes it prohibitive
Consumers have complained of a poor charge holding
Ill-fitting for some bikes
While the Deka Sports Power ETX-30L might not be the OEM for the Harley Davidson motorcycle battery, their commitment to giving the very best to the biking enthusiast, means they share the same values as the average Harley owner. So, its performance is top-notch, and its spill-proof and leak-proof design make it a product of the highest quality. But while it is powerful, its AGM technology also makes it safe for riders, and it gets bonus points for environmental safety. To help the buyer with easy installation, each new Deka battery comes with new bolts included in every package. It also provides brass spacers which you would need if you’re performing a side mount cable installation.
It also has a rather impressive CCA rating sitting at 400. It features a molded top with side connection terminals and, as said before, could be easily regarded as one of the best replacement batteries to the Harley batteries. So pick up one of these at a friendly price and know that you’ve gotten a powerful battery that is bang for your buck.
- Powerful battery with an impressive 400 CCA
- The addition of Side connection terminals make it very versatile and useful for not only the Harley
- Splendid design that is both spill proof and leak proof
- Made in the USA
- Brand Deka
- Model ETX30L
- Weight 21,605 pounds
Cold Crank Amp rating of 400
Very versatile thanks to Side connection terminals
Some consumers state that correct product might not reach you
Some consumers have complained of poor durability
The Power Source Lightning Start WPX20L-NG Battery comes with the distinct advantage of coming with a Harley terminal hardware, which makes it arguably the best Harley battery if what you’re looking for is a battery that is as close to the OEM as possible. These features make it a great option for replacing a Harley battery. As the name implies, it also prides itself as being able to start at lightning speed and also comes with 500 CCA making it a pretty handy option for less than ideal weather.
It’s a factory-sealed AGM type battery, so it comes with the normal perks that come with those types of batteries, which is usually low maintenance and freedom from spillage. It isn’t the cheapest battery on the market, but seeing how closely it apes the OEM battery, it makes it immensely suitable for being a substitute for your Harley. A note of warning, however, it would be in your interest to check and make sure that the battery is a match for your bike as not doing so might mean that it would not work as well. It’s an ideal replacement battery for the Harley Davidson FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom 1340, 1450, 1584, 1690.
- Lightning-quick start for your bike in just about any weather condition
- The addition of a Harley terminal hardware makes it a great substitute battery for the OEM Harley battery
- It comes with an Optional front or top mount terminal
- It’s factory sealed and needs only a very little maintenance
- Brand PowerSource
- Model 01-352P-FXDC
- Weight 15 pounds
Suitable replacement battery
Works on a variety of Harley Davidson bikes
Expensive to purchase
Doesn’t work optimally with bikes that aren’t specifically suited to it
Poor durability in some situations
As far as high-performance batteries go, the Powerstar HD Battery is right up there with the very best. It prides itself as being a long-lasting option for your bike, even asserting that these batteries last up to 3 times longer than normal batteries. It is also an excellent choice as a replacement battery for your Harley with its ability to withstand vibrations and shocks, which means that you are less likely to suffer shorts. It’s also much heavier than other batteries with heavy-duty plates placed inside the battery, same with the grids.
There are are no leaks or spills to be worried about on this battery, and along with its optional top and front-mounted terminals, it’s a great option for you to buy for your Harley. The most exciting thing about this battery is the warranty as it comes with a three-year warranty which solves most of the common problems of riders who complain of short lifespans of batteries. With this, you can be sure to use this for a good while. For good measure, it adds high power, performance, and low discharge rates to make it a sweet package.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty which makes it a sure thing in terms of longevity
- Optional front or top-mounted terminals
- A high-performance battery that lasts longer than most
- Brand POWERSTAR
- Model PM30L-BS-HD
- Weight 23 pounds
Low Discharge rate
Low CCA rating
Doesn’t fit in some bikes
Some consumers have objected, stating that it turns on rather slowly
The best part about the Antigravity ATX12-HD-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery is its RE-START function, which reduces the possibility of your bike dying on you or refusing to fire up. With the RE-START function, the battery monitors itself closely, and if it notices a high level of discharge that isn’t normal, it automatically puts itself to sleep. This is a very useful feature because it helps your battery last much longer. When it goes to sleep, it is also very easy to restart your bike as it saves enough energy to do so. All you need to do is press the ‘RE-START’ button, and your battery will be up and running again.
It’s a lithium-ion battery, so it is lighter than most batteries, and it also boasts a long life between charges. It features four terminals at the top and dual polarity. The manufacturers claim to have the first Full Battery Management System (BMS) on a Powersport Battery and are pioneers in this sort of innovation. So, if you want a long-lasting battery and want the added assurance of a monitored battery system, consider the Antigravity ATX.
- RE-START technology makes for a hassle-free experience
- First battery to feature a Full Battery Management System (BMS)
- The 4 Terminals at the top make it highly adaptable to different types of bikes
- Lithium-ion battery is incredibly light but still possesses a lot of power
- Brand Billet Proof Designs
- Model AG-ATX12-HD-RS
- Weight 3 pounds
Full Battery Management System
4 Terminals allow dual polarity
Good replacement for OEM batteries
Doesn’t work well with older bike models
It is not very easy to install for some
The terminals have been described as too loose by some
You might be new to buying the Harley Davidson, and it’s not a choice to be made lightly. You owe it to yourself to be armed with as much knowledge about what you are about to buy– it’s a commitment. We know that nothing is worse than a motorcycle that just won’t run due to a broken or flat battery. Of course, it is important to buy the right battery for the bike first. And this why our buying guide below has been created – to tell you what to look out for when purchasing batteries for a Harley Davidson so that you can prevent breakdown and enjoy the battery in the long term.
What Should I Look out for Before Buying a Harley Davidson Battery?
Picking out the right battery for your Harley is really important. There are a number of batteries out there that can fit the profile, but not just any will do. With this in mind below are a few of the things to look out for when picking out a replacement battery for your Harley Davidson
- Voltage – This is a very important thing to look out for. Most Harleys use 12 volt batteries and naturally not every battery out there matches this. So when next you want to pick out a battery for your Harley Davidson, ensure that you check how many volts the battery is and then you can pick the right battery.
- Recharge Value – One of the most annoying things that can happen to you as a biker is to leave your Harley in the garage with the battery on full charge only to come back in and find that the battery is flat and won’t fire. This is why it is in your best interest to check the brand you’re buying and see what both the manufacturers and people are saying about how well it recharges and how well it holds a charge. The Antigravity ATX12-HD-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery is a good shout as it has a RE-START feature, slows down discharge and is rechargeable.
- Engine Compatibility – This is important as if you get it wrong, you could be stuck with a dud. Different batteries are suitable for different Harleys. For instance, the ThrottleX HDX30L is an ideal battery for Harley Davidson models between 1997-2016 like the Road King. It would be inadvisable to buy this for a Harley under the Street series class. Always check the information that comes with the battery to see what sort of Harley Davidson bike it fits the most.
- Size – Size does matter. If you buy a bigger battery that doesn’t fit into the battery compartment you might find yourself resorting to others means to fit it in and in that case, you could damage the battery. Look into the size of the battery you want to buy and make sure it’s the right fit for your Harley.
- Lifespan/Durability – This doesn’t just apply to Harley batteries, they apply to everything. If you buy a battery that only lasts you six months, that’s just a bad investment. So, read up on the type of battery you’re getting and perhaps look at some reviews so you are well-informed before purchasing one.
What Are the Different Times of Harley Davidson Batteries?
- AGM Batteries – These are very common in the market nowadays. They are factory sealed batteries that require no maintenance. They have good vibration resistance and don’t need to be kept upright as their sealing means they don’t spill.
- Lead Acid Batteries – These are a little old school and need to be kept upright so as to avoid spillages. They consist of lead and lead dioxide and they, therefore, require distilled water.
- Gel Batteries – These are usually used in adverse weather conditions. They are also immune to spillage and corrosion. They pack a lot of power and discharge pretty slowly.
What Are the Best Harley Davidson Battery Brands?
There are quite a number of these, but some of the best include:
- ThrottleX – ThrottleX batteries are made to last. Rugged, Durable and Dependable, ThrottleX batteries are a great replacement battery for your Harley Davidson.
- Yuasa – Yuasa batteries are well respected within the community, with impressive CCA ratings for most of them, and with different sizes, they fit into most Harley classes and models.
- Powerstar – These lines of batteries are high-performance batteries that hold charges longer than most batteries. They also withstand vibrations pretty well, so you hardly ever experience shorts.
- Power Source – These are a set of batteries that are really quick to charge. They also have great CCA ratings. They are AGM batteries that come pre-sealed and require no maintenance.
What Are the Different Types of Harley Battery Terminals Available?
- Lead Terminal – These are the most common type pf battery terminals, and for a while, they were the only ones available. Lead terminals are horizontal in nature and electrically solid
- Steel Terminal – These ones are more robust, and it is highly unlikely that they snap off. They are versatile as they can come with a vertical or horizontal orientation.
- Screw Terminals – These aren’t as common, and they are internally threaded. The nature of these types of terminals means that you can screw directly into the battery. They are easy to deal with and convenient to use.
Our Top Pick
The HDX30L is a great battery that is proudly made in the USA. It is about the best replacement battery you can get for your Harley. It is AGM based, and this means it’s factory-sealed, and doesn’t require any maintenance and is easy to install. It is resistant to high heat and vibration, which makes it suitable for some of the bigger bikes in the Harley stable. It’s definitely a replacement battery to get.
- How to Change the Battery on Motorcycles – It Still Runs