A Desert Track and Tire Smoke Make a Perfect Monday Afternoon Cocktail
All levels of drifting are incredibly cool.
There are fewer more pleasant experiences in life than having a lot of fun on Monday when everyone else is at work. Especially when that fun is at the track.
- Car: Mazda RX-8, Nissan S14
- Location: Apple Valley Speedway/Grange, Southern California
- Photog: Peter Nelson (Instagram, Twitter)
- Camera: Canon EOS-1N, Fujicolor c200 film
In this photo’s instance, some friends were getting together to reserve Apple Valley Speedway in Apple Valley, California, for a day-long open track event. They ran it with both grip (a normal, non-slidey track session) and drift, one after the other, all day long. I snapped this photo during one of the drift sessions, during which my buddy Tanner was tandeming his RX-8 with another dude’s Nissan S14.
It was an exciting day all around, and Tanner even let me sit right-seat during a session. Drifting at all levels is so incredibly rad.
What to read next:
- Chris Rosales makes the case that the Golf was the only truly great Volkswagen ever made.
- Read how Kevin Williams took a spontaneous trip to buy a car but ended up helping the owner fix it instead.
- Cadillac should do its own version of Hyundai’s Grandeur concept with a bustle-back Seville.
- Chris sold his BMW ZHP because it wasn’t the dream he wanted it to be.
- Reminisce with Peter Nelson about the Little Tikes Sport Coupe, the first car that taught him driving dynamics.